(DW)2 DiverseWorks Development Workshops
(DW)2 is a six-month series of development workshops for artists looking to expand their practice at the professional level. Along with monthly focused workshops on varying topics, the program facilitates a mentorship to help reinforce the newly acquired information. Since the program’s inception in 2003 and through its years of development, DiverseWorks has been able to assist a diverse group of over 150 participants with their ability to professionally expand as an artist.
For guidelines and application…
The 3,000 square foot Main Gallery (73 x 42′) features five exhibitions each year by national and international artists. It is a venue where exploration of new ideas is encouraged and nurtured, where artists are free to take risks. DiverseWorks welcomes proposals from curators as well as artists.
Download technical specifications for the Galleries.
Project Proposal for Visual Arts Submissions
- 1 – 2 page explanation of the project – the more information, the better. Project explanation should also include the following:
- How does the project fit within the parameters of DiverseWorks’ Mission?
- Does the project take into account the size and parameters of gallery?
- resume/bio of artist(s) and curator(s)
- labeled slides and slide script or digital images and image list, or other appropriate documentation
- itemized budget
- technical/equipment requirements with specifics on installation/de-installation.
There is no deadline for Visual Arts Proposals. Proposals are accepted year-round.
Send Main Gallery submissions to:
Visual Arts Residencies
1117 East Freeway
Houston, Texas 77002-1108
DiverseWorks houses a black box theater with a 30 x 40′ stage, 110 seat capacity and audio/lighting and technical support. We program 20 – 25 weekends a year. The performing series highlights dance, performance, puppetry, theater and multimedia works from across the nation and the world. The national/international works are curated by the Performing Arts Director.
The Houston Performing Arts Residencies (HPAR) and 12 Minutes MAX! are a part of DiverseWorks’ ongoing commitment to promote and develop new work by some of Houston’s most innovative performers. The Houston Residencies/ 12MM! are a means to increase the visibility of Houston artists, locally and nationally, as well as create a dialogue with other national partners and peers.
Proposal Process for HPAR or 12 Minutes MAX!
Your proposal should outline the specific work proposed for the DiverseWorks residency. If the work is yet undefined, the project proposal should outline the vision of the proposed work, how it develops your artistic investigation, and how that vision aligns with the DiverseWorks’ mission. To assist the review panel, please provide as much detail about the proposed work or the process to create the new work.
In a maximum 2-page narrative, please address these issues:
- Describe your project and its components to its fullest detail.
- How does this project align with the DiverseWorks Mission?
- Why is DiverseWorks the right venue for this project?
- For Houston Performing Arts Residency Applicants:
- Speak to your (and/or collaborators’) abilities and qualifications to creating and realizing an evening-length show.
- How will the residency help you take your work to a next level?
Your proposal must also include the following:
- A current resume and bio, including past projects
- Current resumes and bios of any collaborators
- DVD with 1) excerpted section of up to 5 minutes, and 2) full work(s)
- If examples of your collaborators work is not included in your video and/or images, please send video and/or images of their work as well
Applicants may be asked to fill out a proposed budget worksheet.
The following are the criteria utilized for the DiverseWorks’ Houston Performing Arts Residency review process:
- Project Strength
- Artistic Merit
- Synergy with DiverseWorks – How does the project fit w/in the DiverseWorks’ Mission? Is it the right time for this project? How does the project fit w/in the season?
Download technical specifications for the theater.
Send Houston Performing Arts Residency or 12Minutes MAX! submissions to:
Houston Performing Arts Residencies
1117 East Freeway
Houston, Texas 77002-1108
or email to: houstonresidencies@ diverseworks.org.